Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Deaf Culture Project and Not Completed


I am currently working on this mixed-media artwork that focuses on deaf culture. It is untitled as of now, for it is not completed yet. I am going through a challenge to figure out what else to add to the piece in order to make it become more completed.

As of now, I had a transparent print out of the lips. I used an empty clear plastic package that was for Eclipse black curtains I bought for my living room. I found a plastic bubble wrap. I folded the bubble wrap and slid that into the clear plastic package. I then zipped it up close. I used some clear strong glue at the corners on the back of the image of the lips and attached it onto the the clear plastic package. I poked the top left and right sides of the package and slid a fish thread through the holes. I then slid the thread through the holes of the grey plastic frame above the lips on package. I then tied the thread into a knot behind the package. It now holds the thing, hanging beneath the top of the frame. I then just glued the silver fabrics and taped the grey duct tapes on the frame.

That is it. I am stuck as of now with what else to do. I will need to add more duct tapes or fabrics on the frame. I will need to think of something that go behind the lips on package and frame. I then will have to figure out how to hang it as well.

This artwork conveys the message about deaf/hard of hearing people having difficult experiences upon reading the lips. That is the reason why I glued the words reading, "Threw a birthday." It doesn't make sense and apparently tells you that it could be a guess of what the lips said.

No comments:

Post a Comment